- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 6 teaspoons olive oil or bacon drippings
- 1 large sweet onion or large red onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, place steamer basket over 1 in. water. Place Brussels sprouts in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, until crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Drain water.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in Brussels sprouts, caraway seeds, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. In a small bowl, whisk maple syrup, sherry vinegar and Dijon until blended. Pour over Brussels sprout mixture; stir until coated. Serve warm.
1 serving: 121 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.