FBI Director Christopher Wray speaks throughout a news conference Wednesday in Omaha, Neb. Charlie Neibergall/AP hide caption
FBI Director Christopher Wray speaks throughout a news conference Wednesday in Omaha, Neb.
OMAHA, Neb. The director of the FBI had strong words Wednesday for supporters of former President Donald Trump who’ve been using violent rhetoric in the wake of his agency’s search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home.
Christopher Wray, who was simply appointed because the agency’s director in 2017 by Trump, called threats circulating online against federal agents and the Justice Department “deplorable and dangerous.”
“I’m always worried about threats to police,” Wray said. “Violence against police is not the solution, regardless of who you’re upset with.”
Wray made the remarks carrying out a news conference throughout a long-planned stop by at the agency’s field office in Omaha, Nebraska, where he discussed the FBI’s concentrate on cybersecurity. He declined to answer questions concerning the hours-long search Monday by FBI agents of Trump’s Palm Beach, Florida resort.
It’s been no problem finding the threats and a call to arms in those corners of the web well-liked by right-wing extremists since Trump himself announced the search of his Florida home. Reactions included the ubiquitous “Lock and load” and demands federal agents and also U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland to be assassinated.
On Gab a social media marketing site favored by white supremacists and antisemites one poster going by the name of Stephen said he was awaiting “the decision” to mount an armed revolution.
“All it requires is one call. And millions will arm up and get back this country. It’ll be over in under 14 days,” the post said.
Another Gab poster implored others: “Lets understand this started! This unelected, illegitimate regime crossed the line making use of their GESTAPO raid! It really is long overdue the lib socialist filth were cleansed from American society!”
The search of Trump’s residence Monday is section of a study into whether Trump took classified records from the White House to his Florida residence, in accordance with people acquainted with the problem. The Justice Department has been investigating the potential mishandling of classified information because the National Archives and Records Administration said it had received from Mar-a-Lago 15 boxes of White House records, including documents containing classified information, earlier this season.