Around 80 people got food poisoning from the pasta meal at a soccer tournament earlier this month in Sweden.
A study in to the incident in Gammelstad on Aug. 5 revealed people fell ill after eating spaghetti bolognese from the restaurant in the town of Lule.
A study by officials from Lule Municipality to look for the cause included studying the outward symptoms of these affected, interviewing patients, visiting the meals company and sampling leftovers.
Food have been prepared at a restaurant your day prior to the event and stored in a refrigerator. On Aug. 5, it turned out reheated for transporting to and serving at the tournament.
Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus
Testing of the bolognese left at the restaurant was found to be satisfactory. Samples were also used Gammelstad where serving occurred. High degrees of bacteria were detected in the pasta, in addition to the presence of toxins that may cause food poisoning. Food have been left at room temperature for quite a while after serving, which provided a chance for bacterial growth.
Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus were within the pasta meal. Symptoms experienced by those sick matched what will be expected with such contamination.
Staphylococcal food poisoning is due to eating foodstuffs contaminated with toxins made by theStaphylococcus aureus bacteria. If this bacteria results in food that’s stored at the incorrect temperature for too much time, it could multiply and form a heat-resistant toxin that may make people sick.
In line with the short time from when food was sent to people consuming it, officials said it had been likely that bacteria were present before delivery. However, from information supplied by the restaurant it had been extremely hard to pin down how such bacterial and toxin growth occurred.
To improve understanding of such outbreaks, follow-up analyses will undoubtedly be completed at Livsmedelsverket (the Swedish Food Agency) and additional controls of the business enterprise will undoubtedly be done by authorities.
Histamine in fish again
Meanwhile, 20 people fell sick recently in Sweden because of histamine levels in fish. The foodborne outbreak was associated with tuna from Vietnam.
In April 2021, 19 individuals were suffering from histamine poisoning in Stockholm after eating tuna loins from Vietnam at three different restaurants.
In 2020, there have beenthree outbreaks of histamine poisoningin tuna from Vietnam in 90 days. These incidents affected about 60 people but contaminated tuna originated from different batches. Patients were from different areas in southern and central Sweden.
Onset of histamine food poisoning symptoms can range between minutes to many hours following ingestion of the toxin. Typically, the common incubation period before illness is 1 hour.
The most typical outward indications of histamine, also referred to as scombroid fish poisoning, are tingling or burning sensation in the mouth, facial swelling, rash, hives and itchy skin, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. They often resolve within a long time without medical intervention.
Production of histamine relates to mishandling of food due to storage at incorrect temperatures. Once produced, histamine can’t be eliminated by normal cooking or freezing temperatures.
(To join up for a free of charge subscription to Food Safety News,just click here.)