Slide show: Fetal ultrasound
Previous Next 1 of 14 See your developing baby
A fetal ultrasound can provide you an early on glimpse of one’s baby, nonetheless it isn’t done for entertainment. A fetal ultrasound might help your medical provider evaluate your baby’s growth and development and regulate how your pregnancy is progressing. In some instances, fetal ultrasound can be used to judge possible problems or help confirm an analysis.
Ultrasound ought to be requested only by way of a doctor or licensed doctor for medical reasons.
Wonder what things to expect? Here is a look at real fetal ultrasound images, and also strategies for understanding the images.
See more Multimedia Sept. 03, 2022
- Shipp TD. Basics and safety of diagnostic ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Nov. 29, 2018.
- Spina bifida fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Spina-Bifida-Fact-Sheet. Accessed Dec. 4, 2018.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 175: Ultrasound in pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2016;128:e241.
- ACRACOGAIUMSMFMSRU practice parameter for the performance of standard diagnostic obstetrical ultrasound. Revised 2018. American College of Radiology. http://www.acr.org/Quality-Safety/Standards-Guidelines/Practice-Guidelines-by-Modality/Ultrasound. Accessed Dec. 3, 2018.
- Avoid fetal “keepsake” images, heartbeat monitors. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm095508.htm. Accessed Dec. 4, 2018.
- Thighbone (femur) fractures in children. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00424. Accessed Dec. 4, 2018.
- Moore KL, et al. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016.
- Shipp TD. Ultrasound examination in obstetrics and gynecology. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Dec. 4, 2018.
- Ankle fractures (broken ankle). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00391. Accessed Dec. 4, 2018.