Windows doesnt display your PCs serial number any place in its interface, and neither do popular system information tools. Nevertheless, you can oftenfind a PCsserial number with a straightforward command, a peek in your BIOS, or on the hardware itself.
Run theWMIC Command
Open a Command Prompt or PowerShell window to begin with. On Windows 11, Windows 10, or Windows 8, right-click the beginning button and choose Command Prompt, PowerShell, or Windows Terminal. On Windows 7, press Windows + R, type cmd in to the Run dialog, and press Enter.
At the Command Prompt, type the next command and press Enter:
wmic bios get serialnumber
Youll start to see the computers serial number displayed under the text SerialNumber. This command uses the Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line (WMIC) tool to pull the systems serial number from its BIOS.
In the event that you dont see your PCs serial number, blame your PCs manufacturer. The quantity is only going to appear here if the PC manufacturer saved it to your computers BIOS or UEFI firmware. PC manufacturers dont always complete the quantity properly. If so, youll see something similar to 0, To be filled by O.E.M. or blank space rather than a genuine serial number.
This is especially true in the event that you built your personal PC as the PC itself wont have a serial number.However, it is possible to research the serial amount of your motherboard along with other components.
Check the BIOS
You may even have the ability to discover the serial number in the BIOS or UEFI firmware settings screen. This system wont allow you to get a serial number if the
wmic command didnt, because the command pulls the serial number from the BIOS. However, checking the BIOS could possibly be helpful in the event that you cant actually sign into Windows to perform the
Access the BIOS or UEFI firmware settings screen and appearance around for a Serial Number somewhere on something information screen. Itll maintain a different put on different PCs, nevertheless, you can usually think it is somewhere on the primary or System screen.
Discover the Serial Number On the PCs Hardware, Box, or Elsewhere
In the event that you dont visit a serial number after running the
wmic commandor in the event that you just cant turn the PC on or dont get access to itthere are other places you will probably find the serial number:
- When you have a laptop, flip it over. On some laptops, youll start to see the number on a sticker. On others, youll start to see the number printed on the metal or plastic the laptop is manufactured out of. If your laptop includes a removable battery, the serial number may also be on a sticker in the battery compartment, beneath the battery.
- Should you have a desktop computer, consider the back, top, or side of the case for a few type of sticker. The quantity can also be on a sticker in the case, so you may need to open it up.
- In the event that you cant discover the serial number on the PC itself, go online for instructions specific to your model. The manufacturers website should let you know exactly where to check.
- In the event that you registered your personal computer with themanufacturer or received warranty service, the serial number ought to be contained in the registration documentation, warranty service receipt, or email confirmation for the service.
- In the event that you still have the initial product box, it usually gets the serial number printed onto it often on a single sticker with the bar code.
- In the event that you purchased the PC online or waiting for you, the serial number could be printed on the physical or email receipt you received.
And when you merely cant find your serial number at all, dont quit hope. Should you have proof purchase, the maker still may have the ability to assist you to with whatever service you will need and could even have the ability to learn the serial number for you personally.